Monday, February 20, 2012

Chiracahua National Monument

We took a drive over to Wilcox again and then headed about 35 miles southwest to the Chiricahua National Monument. What a wonderful day! The sky was clear and the temps were in the 60's, even up at 9800 feet at Massai point.

An interesting formation just outside the Visitor Center. Below is the long view from the same place.




Somewhere along the 8 mile drive to the top.



We saw lots of these balanced rocks. I wish we could have hiked down to the one in the below picture.



The Apache called this the land of standing rocks. Kind of reminds me of the hoodoos at Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah.

Massai Point lookout

Just to the right of Massai point


My two pets
Fantastic spires and pinnacles.

More of the same.

My intrepid honey on the trail up to sugarloaf. Yes, that's snow on the trail ahead. We didn't do the whole trail, but we'll be back. I couldn't resist this beautiful blue bird, I don't know the species.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment